Filament, provider of enterprise blockchain solutions for the Internet of Things (IoT), has unveiled Blocklet™ for Trusted Vehicle Applications (TVA).
The company claims Blocklet TVA is the industry’s first end-to-end automotive blockchain platform that allows vehicles to participate directly in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies (DLTs).
The hardware — which includes Filament’s Blocklet technology, as well as cellular connectivity, environmental sensing and access to vehicle diagnostics — makes it possible for automotive, freight and transportation companies to create new, large-scale connected-vehicle services and smart contract applications on top of a trusted blockchain foundation.
To address the specific connectivity, identity, and security requirements of the automotive sector, Blocklet TVA combines the unique features of DLT-enabled connected vehicle applications with its end-to-end blockchain hardware, creating a turnkey product for vehicle integration. Blocklet’s software development kit (SDK) and hosted services are bundled in Filament’s Blocklet Kit.
Blocklet TVA includes:
• Blockchain-native chipset for secure vehicle data apps and diagnostics: Ability to securely collect, attest and transact vehicle data, such as parameters from the Engine Control Unit (ECU), as recorded directly from the vehicle data bus. Connects to an OBD-II port for passenger vehicles or a J1939 port for heavy-duty vehicles and construction assets.
• Connectivity, hosting and location services: Dedicated GPS combined with the latest LTE Cat-M1 cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity for secure blockchain transactions and smart-contract processing.
• 9-axis inertial motion sensor: Built-in 9-axis inertial sensor for recording acceleration, incline, vibration, G-forces and other detailed in-transit data on vehicle usage.
• Built-in environmental sensors: Sensors for barometric pressure, temperature and humidity all provide context to vehicle operating conditions.
• Hosted services provide flexible blockchain platform support: Supports BigchainDB and Ethereum as well as Hyperledger Fabric and Hyperledger Sawtooth frameworks.
Blocklet TVA is claimed to be a secure and flexible platform that enables a wide range of new products, services and business models to be created at the intersection of vehicles and blockchains. As an example, Blocklet TVA can be used to create new dynamic leasing models where blockchain technology measures and validates vehicle usage to adjust lease rates accordingly.
Filament’s solution can also enable an immutable vehicle history with cryptographically verifiable service records that are maintained on a distributed ledger, used to determine an accurate value of pre-owned vehicles and support smart-contract based business logic. Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) can use Blocklet TVA to build new supply chain services for vehicle components, ensuring their provenance, usage history, maintenance activity and use of genuine replacement parts.
Source: Press Release