Hyundai Motor America and Smartcar demonstrated a proof of concept connecting businesses to Hyundai vehicles with Blue Link. This connection will allow mobile car washing, grocery delivery, and on-demand fuel delivery companies to securely access Hyundai vehicle functions, such as the vehicle’s location, remote locking/unlocking and data such as mileage.
The user must link their Blue Link account with their service provider account to grant permission and allow access to the vehicle. Smartcar’s platform uses extensions to that of Hyundai Blue Link to send remote functions to the vehicle’s Telematics Management Unit. This model provides ease of “plugability” for the inclusion of various services into the ecosystem. As an example, a user could link to on-demand car wash company Washos by doing the following:
- The owner links their Blue Link account to the Washos app and accepts the terms and conditions.
- The customer then requests their vehicle to be washed through the Washos app and Blue Link provides the vehicle location to the Washos detailer’s smartphone app.
- The Blue Link connection allows the Washos detailer’s app to unlock the car so the interior can be vacuumed and the owner can use Blue Link to lock the keys in the car in case it needs to be moved. This removes the need to meet a Washos team member at another location.
- Once the vehicle is cleaned it is locked and secured by the representative and the detailer’s access is removed once the wash is complete.
- The owner receives a completion notification.
- The Washos detailer can no longer access the vehicle.
The partnership marks the outset of a number of possible features that could be available to drivers in the future. A connection to Smartcar in the future could help with:
- Car sharing programs
- Dry cleaning delivery services
- Grocery delivery services
- On-demand fuel or charging services
- Parking location information services
Hyundai and Smartcar will start a pilot program called Blue Link All-Access with California businesses in the first half of 2018.