Wind River, a leader in delivering IoT software for safety-critical domains including automotive, announced enhancements to Wind River Edge Sync, including differential system technology
Edge Sync is Wind River’s modular, end-to-end OTA update and software lifecycle management solution that allows for rapid, safe, and secure updates to software and firmware. It meshes seamlessly with automakers’ proprietary systems or with third party data solutions enabling car companies to efficiently manage and maintain automotive software for the entire life of the car and to continuously improve the value of the car and experiences with customers on a long term basis.
DST enables the smallest differential update when conducting over-the-air (OTA) updates. The ability to keep updates minimal reduces distribution time and cost, update transmission time, and memory required on automotive electronic control units (ECUs). Wind River’s latest Edge Sync technology has been supplied to major automakers, most recently for Ford.
Efficient differential updates are an important functionality necessary for a successful, production-grade automotive OTA solution. The management of software over the course of a vehicle’s lifetime has become increasingly important to both maintaining system value and as a means of addressing security, and OTA update technology is a key element of this.
Among its many features, Edge Sync differential system technology includes the following key capabilities:
• Patch streaming: Stream smaller chunks of updates when memory on the target ECU is insufficient to store the full differential update
• Patching in place: Optimize for low memory/performance ECUs, enabling the application of the update within a single active memory partition
• A/B updates: Write to a secondary, inactive memory partition to apply the patch
• Pause and resume: Allow installation to be paused and resumed from exactly where it left off, eliminating the need to restart from scratch
• Reduced memory footprint of software client: Configurable software client that enables optimization for resource-constrained environments, including adding/removing functionality as needed to support only the relevant use cases for a given ECU
Source: Press Release