New York Road Runners [“NYRR”] and MapMyRUN, today announced a partnership to launch a next-generation suite of official ING New York City Marathon Web, mobile, and tablet spectator applications. NYRR premiered a first-generation suite of applications designed to enhance the race day experience of participants and spectators alike in 2010. Additionally, the partnership provides that MapMyRUN will serve as a strategic technology partner collaborating with NYRR and the ING New York City Marathon through 2013.
“This partnership with MapMyRUN builds on our strategy to partner with best-in-class companies who can add-value to our ongoing efforts to improve the ING New York City Marathon brand experience for both participants and spectators”
The apps give both race participants and spectators the means to bring a new excitement to their respective race day experiences. Moreover, these event specific apps boast a feature set that markedly sets them apart from other spectator and tracking oriented apps. Significantly, the apps are the first to integrate both popular RFID chip timing and GPS technology to allow the real time tracking of race participants.
Additional key functionality components of the apps include:
1. Listing and search of race participants and related participant profiles SMS, email, and mobile device push notification delivery of participant progress
2. Live race day video content from the course plus other NYRR-produced video features including segments from NYRR Live™ and The Daily Cool Down™
3. NYRR’s official map of the ING New York City Marathon course that includes; the elevation profile, mile markers, and points of interest such as best spectator viewpoints, race course entertainment and first aid, hydration and food stations
4. Official ING New York City Marathon content Schedule of ING New York City Marathon week activities including; pre-race, race day and post race events
5. Mash-up of MapMyRUN and other social networks which enables the broadcast of participant and spectator activity across all social media platforms
6. Display of various social networking feeds, e.g., Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr
“These ING New York City Marathon spectator applications will leverage the entirety of our Web, mobile and tablet, technologies to deliver the New York Road Runners a market-leading, multi-faceted suite of race day tools that has the potential to dramatically augment runner and spectator participation and engagement,” said Robin J. Thurston, co-founder of MapMyFITNESS.
“This partnership with MapMyRUN builds on our strategy to partner with best-in-class companies who can add-value to our ongoing efforts to improve the ING New York City Marathon brand experience for both participants and spectators,” said Mary Wittenberg, President and CEO of the New York Road Runners. “We believe we have only begun to tap into the rich engagement opportunity that digital technologies can offer our runners, spectators, sponsors and partners – and look forward to realizing our vision for creating an unparalleled interactive brand experience through this collaboration.
The ING New York City Marathon is set for November 6, 2011. NYRR plans to release the ING New York City Marathon spectator applications for download by October 28, 2011. The suite of applications will be available at the Apple App store, Android marketplace and through NYRR at