Mazda Motor Corp is going to launch a new engine in 2019. The engine, it is being said would be the world’s first commercial gasoline engine to use compression ignition. The new engine is to be called SKYACTIV-X, would be 20 to 30 percent more efficient than its current SKYACTIV-G engine. The company has said that would start introducing electric and other electrified vehicles from 2019 in markets that offer a high ratio of clean energy or restrict other vehicles to reduce air pollution.
Mazda is working on a new long-term vision for technology development “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030,” that looks ahead to the year 2030. The following is an overview of “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030” and the next-generation SKYACTIV-X engine.
- Aim to reduce corporate average “well-to-wheel” carbon dioxide emissions to 50 percent of 2010 levels by 2030, and achieve a 90-percent reduction by 2050
- Continue efforts to perfect the internal combustion engine, which will help power the majority of cars worldwide for many years to come and can therefore make the greatest contribution to reducing carbon dioxide emissions, and combine the results with effective electrification technologies
- From 2019, start introducing electric vehicles and other electric drive technologies in regions that use a high ratio of clean energy for power generation or restrict certain vehicles to reduce air pollution
- Develop more advanced safety technologies under the Mazda Proactive Safety philosophy, working toward the goal of eliminating traffic accidents
- Promote further standardization of i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety features, which help drivers recognize and assess potential hazards.
- Begin testing of autonomous driving technologies currently being developed in line with Mazda’s human-centered Mazda Co-Pilot Concept2 in 2020, aiming to make the system standard on all models by 2025
- Using connectivity technologies, create a new business model that enables car owners to support the needs of people in depopulated areas and those who have difficulty getting around.