Rolle, Switzerland : Nissan unveiled the NISMO smartwatch concept on Monday – 9th September, 2013.
It’s the first smartwatch concept to connect driver and car. The Nissan NISMO watch will allow the driver to
• Monitor the efficiency of their vehicle with average speed and fuel consumption readings.
• Access vehicle telematics and performance data while on track.
• Capture biometric data via a heart rate monitor.
• Connect to the car using a smartphone app via Bluetooth Low Energy.
• Receive tailored car messages from Nissan.
Gareth Dunsmore, Marketing Communications General Manager, Nissan in Europe, commented: “Wearable technology is fast becoming the next big thing, and we want to take advantage of this innovative technology to make our NISMO Brand more accessible.”
NISMO’s vision is to take the digital age technologies developed for the NISMO athletes and make them available to athletes from other disciplines and to Nissan owners through future wearable tech. Three key technologies have already been identified for future development:
• ECG (Electrocardiogram) to measure the intervals of the R-R rhythm of the heart and identify early fatigue
• EEG (Electroencephalogram) Brainwave to monitor the drivers’ levels of concentration and emotions
• Skin Temperature to record core body temperature and hydration levels
The NISMO Watch will also track and rate the user’s social performance across Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram via Nissan’s proprietary Social Speed software.
The watch design was inspired by the NISMO ring and is reflected in a seamless, futuristic and ergonomic design. The simple user interface can be controlled by two buttons and is secured onto the driver’s wrist via a simple snap-fit mechanism. Even the packaging will have a unique NISMO identity. The NISMO Watch will use a lithium battery and will be charged by micro-USB, with a battery life of over seven days under normal usage conditions.
For a video on the concept of the NISMO click the image on the left