Published: January 16, 2015 | Mumbai, India
Tata Motors launched ‘Tata SKOOLMAN’, a telematics based tracking solution, aimed at addressing pressing concerns over student safety during school bus travel. Tata SKOOLMAN will be a standard fitment on the Tata Ultra range of school buses and will also be available for fitment on other models of school buses in the after-market.
Taking the initiative of school bus safety forward, Tata Motors also launched the all new ‘Ultra BS3 – Safe School Bus’, equipped with Tata SKOOLMAN at the SIAM Bus & Special Vehicle Show 2015 (BSVS) hosted at India Expo Mart in Greater Noida.
Besides providing a host of safety features, Tata SKOOLMAN also makes it convenient for parents to track the arrival and departure of their children in real time (through SMS alerts), live tracking on a map or via a mobile phone application. Tata SKOOLMAN also provides an effective fleet management tool for schools/bus fleet operators to plan bus routes better and manage their school bus fleet more effectively.
Features of Tata SKOOLMAN:
Convenience for Parents
- Triggers an automatic SMS alert to parents/guardians, on arrival of the bus, for just in time pick-up and drop
- Empowers parents with a mobile application to track the school bus carrying their children, through a map on a real time basis
- Notifies the parent on the location of the bus, through a SMS based query system
Safety for Schools
- Tracking of school buses on real time basis to ensure safety of the children onboard – an update is generated every 10 seconds
- Schools receive a notifications on instances of unsafe driving through a SMS or e-mail alert
- Schools can stay assured of data security against any unauthorized access through 256 bit AES data encryption technique for data communication and dedicated server space for school data
- Prevents entry of buses in zones that schools perceive unsafe for children by geo-fencing the restricted regions
Efficiency for Bus Fleet admins/owners
- Plan and deploy the fleet in the best possible way through route management facility – define bus stops, create and manage routes
- Analyze and optimize the performance of every bus in the fleet, based on an extensive set of fleet usage reports and thereby increase the productivity of the entire fleet. The reports can be generated
- Bus wise, route wise, bus-stop wise or driver wise
- On Daily, weekly and monthly basis
- For Single vehicles as well as fleets
- Ensures optimum availability of the fleet by using fleet related reminders to avoid missing any of the bus related renewals
Minimizes fuel consumption and reduces the carbon footprint by tracking the duration for which the bus was idling through ‘engine-Idling monitoring’Apart from technology and safety related features, Tata Motors is also working with all stake holders involved in School Bus travel (students, parents, school bus attendants), to sensitize them towards accident prevention and tackling emergency situations through various School Bus Safety programs. Building on the activity, Tata Motors recently conducted the ‘Dream it to win it’ essay writing competition & ‘Hamare Bus Ki Baat Hai’ (also called Good Citizen campaign) at various schools across the country.
Hamare Bus Ki Baat Hai: Tata Motors recently trained 15,000 school bus staff on school bus safety across 41 cities, 295 schools, through 302 sessions, under the ‘Hamare Bus Ki Baat Hai’ school bus safety program. ‘Hamare Bus Ki Baat Hai’ began in 2013 with interactive sessions designed with the objective of sensitizing school bus staff, on the safety of children during school bus travel. Furthering this initiative, Tata Motors now aims at sensitizing parents about the ‘Hamare Bus Ki Baat Hai’ initiative to better understand actual safety concerns during school bus travel, in turn prompting parents to impart behavioral training during school bus travel and to take necessary measures in case of accidents, also giving caregivers time to react and helps keep children safe.
Source: Tata Motors