Published: June 2, 2014 | United States
Autonet Mobile, announced it will be deploying a 4G-enabled Telematics Control Unit (TCU) to enhance its connected car offering.
Autonet’s 4G TCU is built to be automotive grade, and is embedded directly in the vehicle’s CAN bus system. The new platform supports the company’s numerous mobile applications with faster network speeds and allows car manufacturers to easily integrate their own applications with Autonet’s open architecture.
The TCU is built on Autonet’s TRU Technology, which manages the network and applications in the vehicle to provide seamless connectivity in-motion, and reliable and secure network access. TRU Technology provides the most reliable IP connectivity to vehicles possible; with the addition of 4G services, it is also the fastest. Automotive manufactures can embed the device in their cars to bring high-speed mobile networking to drivers. Autonet currently has partnerships with Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, GM, and Subaru.
“Our new 4G TCU technology will open up a whole new world of applications and services to the vehicle that will enhance both the driver’s and car manufacturer’s experience,” – Doug Moeller, co-founder and chief technology officer of Autonet Mobile.
With the new 4G enhancement, Autonet will provide faster and more efficient speeds to its mobile applications. The apps available to drivers include:
- Find My Car: Drivers can locate their vehicle anytime, anywhere, and see a history of where their car has been.
- Geo Zones: Allows drivers to define virtual geographical areas to make sure their vehicles follow approved routes and receive notifications if vehicles travel outside the designated zone.
- Speed Tracker: Drivers can define a maximum speed that their vehicle should be traveling and receive notifications when maximum speed is reached.
- Parental Controls: Allows parents to monitor their teens’ driving habits through features such as call/text blocking, speed alerts, driving zones, check-ins/arrivals, and seat belt alerts.
- Valet Mode: Track and be alerted if a valet is using your vehicle inappropriately.
- WiFi Hotspot: Turns drivers’ vehicles into a high-speed mobile WiFi hotspot.
Source: Autonet Mobile