Designers of automotive battery management systems (BMS) can now deliver the highest level of safety for voltage, current, temperature and communication while also saving space and reducing solution cost, with the MAX17852 14-channel, high-voltage, ASIL-D data-acquisition system from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.. Designed for integration within electric vehicles, hybrid electric vehicles, and other transportation systems, the IC is ideal for smart junction box, 48V, and other automotive battery systems that can see voltages up to 400V and beyond.
Maxim Integrated designed and manufactured the MAX17852 to enable customers to design their systems to meet the highest ASIL-D standards for voltage, current, temperature and communication. The small, cost effective IC also offers the highest accuracy for delivering voltage, current and temperature data with tight time synchronization. It allows a typical cell voltage measurement of ±0.45mV at room temperature and a maximum of ±2mV error in a temperature range of 5 degrees to 40 degrees Celsius, enabling car OEMs to get the most mileage range out of their batteries. The 14-channel battery data acquisition system integrates a current sense amplifier so that current information is acquired at the same time as cell voltage and temperature. The MAX17852 allows both hall effect sensor and shunt resistors to be used as sensing components.
- Highest Safety: ASIL-D rating for voltage, current, temperature, and communication enhances safety
- Highest Accuracy: Measurement accuracy with best current sense amplifier gain error to allow accurate, time-aligned current measurements to potentially boost mileage
- Smaller Size: High integration enables up to 16 percent smaller size than a discrete solution to save board space
- Lower Cost: Integrated current sense amplifier provides up to 20 percent cost savings
- Versatility: The first device that can be adapted to many applications with voltage, current, and temperature sensing