Starting from October, 26 in Phoenix, customers who request a ride on the Uber app may be able to catch a ride with the Waymo Driver. This is made possible through the partnership between Waymo.
The partnership will bring together Uber’s ride hailing experience and Waymo’s experience in fully autonomous ride, with no human driver behind the wheel.
Some of the highlights of service being offered in partnership are:
- How to ride with an AV: If the route falls within Waymo’s newly expanded operating territory, riders requesting an UberX, Uber Green, Uber Comfort, or Uber Comfort Electric may receive a match with a Waymo vehicle. This territory includes Sky Harbor International Airport’s 24th St and 44th St SkyTrain locations. Additionally, a dedicated Waymo vehicle must be available for the ride.
- Update your Ride Preferences: Uber customers in Phoenix can increase their chances of being connect with an AV by opting in via the Ride Preferences section of their app under Settings. They should be excited about riding in an autonomous vehicle (AV). This option allows them to have a better chance of experiencing an AV in their area.
- Safety is a top priority: Safety is at the heart of what they do. That’s why they review their partners’ approaches to safety as per their Safety Guidelines before they deploy and operate on the Uber network.
- Convenience built in: Before dispatching a nearby Waymo vehicle to a customer, they’ll first offer the customer the option to accept the ride or find another. Once the Waymo vehicle arrives, riders will be able to unlock the vehicle and start the trip. All this can done from the familiar Uber app. If riders need assistance at any time, they will have access to 24/7 customer support. This support is accessible in both the Uber app and inside the Waymo vehicle.
- Make a sustainable choice: They’re committed to becoming a zero-emissions mobility platform by 2040. They aid in matching riders with electric vehicles, such as Waymo’s all-electric Jaguar I-PACE, to reduce gas consumption and emissions. They can also make greener transportation options more accessible.
Anticipating growth, they foresee a continued coexistence of human drivers and AVs on Uber’s platform for an extended period. They will continue to scale a hybrid, global network that combines both.
News related to Waymo –