Maxim Integrated Products, Inc has launched data acquisition system MAX25205, featuring integrated optics and a 6×10 infrared (IR) sensor array. MAX25205 detects swipe and hand-rotation gestures without the complexity of time-of-flight (ToF) cameras at a lower cost and up to 75 percent smaller size.
Maxim Integrated’s optical-based MAX25205 enables the most hand gestures at a solution cost that is up to 10x lower than ToF camera-based systems. Additionally, the gesture and proximity-sensing sensor features a high level of integration and comes in a small 4mmx4mm chip size, which is up to 75 percent smaller than ToF camera-based solutions. This gesture solution offers a great complement solution to the voice command, as there are scenarios where voice command is not effective. Another benefit of a gesture solution is that the automotive displays do not become smeared with many fingerprints as customers use their touch screens.
- Lowest Cost: Enables swipe and rotation gestures sensing at lower cost than a ToF camera; Allows developers to avoid complex software development and maintenance programs
- Smallest Size: 60 photo diode array, LED driver and internal LDO result in a total solution size that is significantly smaller than ToF camera solutions; Can be paired with a small microcontroller, rather than the larger microprocessors that more complex solutions require
- Versatility: Delivers 9 gestures, including swipe, rotations, air link and 3×2 proximity zones with low lag time in a single chip compared to a competitive solution that requires 3 chips and a complicated microprocessor; Cost reduction makes gesture-sensing feasible for automotive, consumer and industrial applications such as smart home hubs, thermostats and others, all without touching the device
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX25205 is available at Maxim Integrated’s website; Pricing available upon request
- The MAX25205EVKIT# evaluation kit is also available at Maxim Integrated’s website
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.