India: Mahindra launches of MESMA 48 global EV platform
On the occasion of World EV Day (9th Sept.), Mahindra Electric has announced the global launch of its MESMA 48 platform for light electric vehicles (EVs).
As the name suggests, the Mahindra Electric Scalable Modular Architecture (MESMA) is scalable in terms of performance and range. It offers voltage systems in the range of 44V to 96V. There are said to be more than 11,000 EVs plying on Indian roads that are based on this platform. These include 3-wheelers, quadricycles and compact cars.
Highlights of MESMA:
- Scalable in terms of both performance and range, offering voltage systems ranging from 44V to 96V.
- Delivers better acceleration than ICE counterparts.
- Components are available in both liquid and air-cooled configurations, as per requirement.
- The drivetrain, with power ranging from 6 kW to 40 kW and subsequent torque ranging from 40 Nm to 120 Nm, can be made available with three varying transmission ratios to suit the performance requirements.
- Top speed of up to 80 km/h can be achieved with the MESMA 48 platform, making it suitable for the passenger as well as load-carrying segments.
- Compatible with both rigid and flexible axle systems, the MESMA 48 platform is suitable for L5, L6 and L7 categories.
- One-stop solution offering EV components such as the drivetrain, battery pack, electronic control units, power electronics (MCU, OBC, LDC, PDU), their associated software, software calibration, vehicle integration and testing capabilities that can help launch a product in the fastest possible time.
- Integrated drivetrain solution leading to higher power density making it cost effective.
- Use of cost efficient, highly robust, temperature tolerant LFP cells and high energy density NMC cells which can match the performance, range, price and environment requirements of a wide set of customers.
- As a turnkey solutions provider, Mahindra Electric can help reduce the investment and pass on the benefits of economies of scale to its customers.
- OBC compatible with all major charging protocols such as CHADEMO, GBT, CCS and BCP.
- The BMS is designed for systems with up to 18 cells in series and is ISO 26262 ASIL-B compliant.
The MESMA platform is manufactured and assembled in India, except for the battery cells which are imported. It is also suitable for converting existing ICE vehicles to electric. MESMA 72 and MESMA 350 are derivatives of the same architecture designed for different categories of vehicles.