Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. introduced new product to its Snapdragon Digital Chassis portfolio. Known as the QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms, these new products are engineered to deliver enhanced safety, infotainment, cloud-connected digital services, personalization, and convenience to the 2-wheeler, micromobility, and other motorized vehicle markets. They aim to transform not only the user experience but also the development and management of these new vehicle classes and types. Applicable vehicles for these new platforms include electric and internal combustion engine (ICE) motorcycles; 3-wheelers; e-bikes; kick scooters; 3- and 4-wheel all-terrain vehicles (ATVs); and shared mobility e-scooters and e-bikes.
“Driven by increased demand for mobility that is sustainable and affordable, the markets for 2-wheelers and new vehicle classes are setting new benchmarks. Moreover, the sharing economy fuels this demand by fostering a desire for mobility. These factors are reshaping the transportation industry,” said Laxmi Rayapudi, vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “This presents a tremendous opportunity as these markets require connectivity, intelligence and safety. We are proud to expand our Snapdragon Digital Chassis to 2-wheelers and beyond. We are proud to continue our work with OEMs and ecosystem partners in these segments. Our goal is to further accelerate the digital transformation of all vehicles on roads across the world.”
The QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms leverage technologies from Qualcomm Technologies’ existing Snapdragon Digital Chassis for automotive, including:
- Next-generation Snapdragon Cockpit Platform: At the core of the QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms are smart clusters powered by the next-generation Snapdragon Cockpit Platform. Benefits to riders will include:
- Status and alerts for low battery with recommendations for nearby charging stations, as well as maintenance reminders.
- Personalized real-time navigation with points of interest for the rider.
- Advanced safety features include alerts for when a rider goes above the designated speed limit. They also include alerts when a side stand is not raised properly, emergency services, theft prevention, and vehicle monitoring.
- Snapdragon Auto 4G and 5G Modems: The Snapdragon Auto 4G and 5G modems empower drivers of 2-wheelers and new vehicle classes with fast connectivity options. These include 4G/5G, Wi-Fi, vehicle-to-everything (V2X), and Bluetooth, ensuring quick network response times. This technology provides the reliability necessary for safety, personalization, infotainment, and productivity features in vehicles.
- Snapdragon Cloud-Connected Digital Services: Qualcomm Technologies’ integrated, flexible services suite for connected cars will be available as part of the QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms. It is offering additional benefits for riders, OEMs and fleet providers alike, such as:
- OEMs have the ability to create service revenue opportunities throughout a vehicle’s lifecycle. They can also provide advanced, highly personalized user experiences through cloud-connected apps and services post-sale.
- OEM and fleet provider capability to deliver firmware and software updates over-the-air, subscription services, remote vehicle diagnostics, predictive/preventative maintenance, user authentication, geofencing, theft protection, location/asset tracking and more.
- OEM ability to optimize costs in vehicle development and management.
“Gogoro and Qualcomm Technologies share a passion for leveraging innovation to accelerate the sustainable shift of urban two-wheel transportation around the world,” said Horace Luke, founder and CEO, Gogoro inc. “We are collaborating together to introduce new smart mobility experiences. This will usher in a new era of urban transportation in the world’s cities.”
The QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms have garnered significant global attention, receiving praise from Tier-1 suppliers, module makers, and ecosystem participants. Furthermore, this includes Bosch, Cavli Wireless, Drover AI, Luna Systems, Marelli, MeiG, Quectel, SIMCom, Thundercomm, Valeo and VVDN Technologies. Quotes from these partners can found here.
To help advance the technological development for 2-wheelers, it introduced a reference design based on the QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms. Moreover, this design features a digitally advanced suite of technologies for compute, connectivity, and precise positioning. Designers have created it to help OEMs rapidly develop safe and differentiated products for 2-wheelers. It also extends its applicability to new vehicle classes. Reference designs based on the QWM2290 and QWS2290 platforms are currently available.