Renesas Electronics Corporation announced a new power and functional safety solution for systems based on the R-Car V3H system-on-chip (SoC) for ADAS automotive front cameras and driver monitor cameras.
The new solution includes the RAA271050, a 42V synchronous buck ‘pre-regulator’ that accepts the vehicle’s 12V supply and steps it down to an intermediate supply voltage of 3.3V or 5.0V. The RAA271000, a seven-channel PMIC (power management IC), then takes the RAA271050’s output and steps it down further to the various supply voltages needed by R-Car V3H and its peripherals such as LPDDR4 memory. Both devices were developed per the ISO-26262 standard, and can support system safety requirements up to ASIL D.
Renesas’ new solution provides power loss reductions of up to 33 percent compared to competitive PMICs under comparable operating conditions. Additionally, the RAA271050 and RAA271000 were designed to match R-Car requirements with no unnecessary overhead, reducing component cost and PCB area. Renesas is providing a reference hardware solution that includes the new components, speeding design time and reducing testing requirements for customers.
Key Features of the R-Car V3H Power Solution
- Programmable Output Voltage, Sequencing, I/O Configuration and Safety Configuration providing flexibility to support R-CAR V3H and an expansive range of SoCs
- Integrated 12-bit SAR ADC with up to 16 external inputs monitors internal and external signals, eliminating the need for an added system ADC
- Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaling (DVFS) adjusts output voltage to minimize power consumption
- Optional Spread Spectrum Clocking mitigates EMI
- Built-in Support for R-Car V3H SoC Activation streamlines SoC self-test procedures
Complete ADAS Camera Solution
The RAA271050 and RAA271000 are included in a complete ADAS front camera solution featuring the EagleCam camera module from LUPA-Electronics GmbH and Renesas’ R-Car V3H and R-Car V3M system-on-chip (SoC) devices.
The RAA271050 is offered in a 22-lead, 4x4mm QFN package. The RAA271000 is packaged in a 60-ball FCBGA with 0.8mm pitch. Both devices are expected to be fully available in July of this year.