Velodyne Lidar Introduces Alpha Prime
Velodyne Lidar has introduced Alpha Prime, a next generation lidar sensor utilizing based on company’s patented surround view technology. According to the company, Alpha Prime has a unique combination of breakthrough innovations that allows vehicles to navigate in unfamiliar and dynamic settings.
Some of the features of the product, as claimed by the company are:
• Superior field-of-view: 360-degree surround view perception and a 40-degree vertical field-of-view.
• Outstanding performance in a wide variety of lighting conditions, including retro reflectors and sunlight mitigation.
• Exceptional detection of dark or low reflectance objects at long distances, such as tires, dark vehicles, low reflectivity pavement and low visibility pedestrians.
• Advanced negative obstacle perception, such as potholes and cracks in the road.
• The highest resolution along with robust reflectivity returns from over 4.8 million points per second, simplifying detection and tracking of vehicles, pedestrians and other obstructions.
• High resolution and laser calibration enable the sensor to easily localize vehicles — outdoors or indoors — without a GPS, for precise positioning.
• Improved e?ciency for extended vehicle operating time within broad temperature and environmental ranges without the need for active cooling.
• Advanced sensor-to-sensor interference mitigation.
• Automotive mass production options from multiple sources for qualified programs.
“The Alpha Prime is a significant step forward in enabling the advancement of the autonomous vehicle and robot industries,” said Anand Gopalan, Chief Technology Officer, Velodyne Lidar. “With its breadth of best-in-class features, the Alpha Prime is a marked advancement in sensor performance for real world conditions. Here at Velodyne, we take pride in listening to our customers and delivering innovative and high-performance products. We believe Velodyne’s versatility and agility extend our leadership status in the lidar business to empower autonomous solutions on a global scale.”
Source: Press Release